English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 29, 2016

In send whole project to tm add checkboxes

DO NOT SEND segments where

source=target
length <1,2,3,4,5 symbols
source contains no alphabetic characters

To ALL - add your proposals in this topic for Atril to see users expectations from new versions

[Редактировалось 2016-10-29 21:14 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:45
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sounds like good options, but … Oct 29, 2016

mikhailo wrote:

"In send whole project to tm add checkboxes

DO NOT SEND segments where

source=target
length is less than 1,2,3,4,5 symbols
source contains no alphabetic characters

To ALL - add your proposals in this topic for Atril to see users expectations from new versions"

… should be optional, as I do like some of this stuff in my TM.

[Edited at 2016-10-29 23:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-30 11:31 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:45
English to Turkish
+ ...
confusing settings Oct 29, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

One can already mark such segments as "do not send". More settings do not always mean user friendliness.

And caution to new users of DVX, do not recycle projects and do not use "Delete all pairs previously sent from this project". I wish Atril just removes that option.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Oct 29, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

One can already mark such segments as "do not send". More settings do not always mean user friendliness.

And caution to new users of DVX, do not recycle projects and do not use "Delete all pairs previously sent from this project". I wish Atril just removes that option.

Hmm, the manual DVX3 says:

"To send the whole project to the translation memory
1 On the Project ribbon tab, click Add to Translation Memory.
–Or–
Press Alt+F12."

But, in my copy of DVX3, there is no Project > Add to Translation Memory.

However, Alt+F12 does bring up the Send Project to Translation Memory dialogue.

I was actually wondering how to send all segments of a project to TM, but couldn't find it.

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Which version are you using? Oct 29, 2016

–Or–
Press Alt+F12."

I was actually wondering how to send all segments of a project to TM, but couldn't find it.

It's there on mine. It's the third icon from the right on the Project ribbon.

[Edited at 2016-10-29 23:24 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Workgroup version Oct 29, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Same here, in my Workgroup version.

add_to_translation_memory

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Oct 30, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Checkboxes are optional

Anybody can mark all bad segments if he/she translate all. But if he translate pretranslated|partly translated text and so on? These are typical options to clean up TMs in olifant.
But it's a dumb job - to add bad stuff, and then clean it up.

What's wrong with «Delete all pairs previously sent from this project»? I use it always because some sentences may have 3-4 versions before the final one. And I do not need this beta stuff in TM.

More settings - it's for PROFIs. Other want one button that translates all without any question.

[Редактировалось 2016-10-30 08:59 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
oops, it's right there in plain view ;-) Oct 30, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

–Or–
Press Alt+F12."

[Edited at 2016-10-29 23:24 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Re: delete all pairs Oct 31, 2016

mikhailo wrote:

What's wrong with «Delete all pairs previously sent from this project»? I use it always because some sentences may have 3-4 versions before the final one. And I do not need this beta stuff in TM.

[Редактировалось 2016-10-30 08:59 GMT]

Segments are stored by a unique project, file and segment number. If you add-remove files to your projects, I mean recycle projects, e.g. use the same project for a client/subject and delete completed files from your project and add new files, then all previous segments will be deleted from your TM.

Just use Add to Translation Memory (and uncheck «Delete all pairs previously sent from this project»), it is sufficient to update your TM with the last versions.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 14:45
English to Polish
+ ...
How DejaVu could win me over and make me leave Trados... Dec 16, 2016

I know it has been said several times, but since the forum is a bit... erm lifeless, I thought I would list the features that could convince me to leave Trados for Deja Vu, as well as flaws that prevented me from buying DVX3

1) Autowrite

a) Handling proper nouns and numbers in Autowrite or perhaps, even better - giving me an option to enter my own regex expressions that would be handled via Autowr
... See more
I know it has been said several times, but since the forum is a bit... erm lifeless, I thought I would list the features that could convince me to leave Trados for Deja Vu, as well as flaws that prevented me from buying DVX3

1) Autowrite

a) Handling proper nouns and numbers in Autowrite or perhaps, even better - giving me an option to enter my own regex expressions that would be handled via Autowrite.

b) If I remember correctly, Autowrite often suggested incomplete phrases, for example finishing with an article e.g. "Compared to previous generations of aircraft, the"
or
"Before he knew, she"
I believe, this could be honed. Autosuggest in Trados shows that it's possible.

c) Autowrite should also be able to adapt the case of the suggested words from the TM. In other words, when I'm writing: "He wanted to eat a banana" and there's BANANA (all in caps) in TM, Autowrite should adapt the case and propose "banana" instead of "BANANA".

d) It would be great if the font in Autowrite was adjustable and independent of the size of the chosen font in the Editor window. I used Times New Roman 20 and Autowrite was automatically the same size, which was definitely too big.

e) It could be a good idea to mark in Autowrite where the suggestion comes from (glossary/TM/MT/lexicon/regex)

2) Glossaries

a) Highlighting glossary terms in the Editor window

b) handling synonyms (this was the main reason I didn't go for DVX3)

c) choosing on-the-fly the glossary or glossaries I want to save a term in.

d) optional various colours for various glossaries.

3) Handling online terminology and dictionaries
This is self-explanatory. Already implemented in lots of CAT tools and a very useful feature.
I would see it as a separate window that pops-up or slides whenever I mark a term and hit a given button, showing search results from Linguee, etc.

4) QA - simply more options to choose from:
-check if source and targe are identical
-check target segments that are longer/shorter by .... %
-check for inconsistent translations
-check for unedited fuzzy matches
-check for multiple spaces
-check for multilple dots
-check target segment length based on a specific number of characters (e.g. not more than 180 characters in a segment)
- check that source and target end in the same punctuations
This list is taken from Trados, but I believe those are quite useful QA features.

5) Editor window

a) formatting in target segment should reflect formatting in source segment automatically. In other words, if source is all in bold or italics, this should be set automatically in the target window without my intervention.

b) if you choose to edit the segment in a separate area, it would be good to have an option to place that area in the middle of the editor window rather than below. In MemoQ such solution works perfectly.

c) a progress bar would be good (based on words or characters rather than segments).

6) Preview.
I remember that there was a bug in the preview window, where the whole text that followed a hyperlink, looked like a hyperilink too (it was blue and underlined).

7) Automatic search of subsegments/ LSC
DVX, similarly to MemoQ's LSC could also automatically display phrases it has found in the SOURCE segments of the TM, signalling to the user that a given phrase exists in the TM. Deepminer is a great mechanism, but it's based on statistics, which means that a phrase needs to appear several times in the TM for the Deepminer to utilize it and suggest the translation.
LSC, on the other hand is free from such worries, because it doesn't suggest translations, it only searches for expressions in source segments, thus informing you that you have already translated something similar.
It's something like Trados auto-concordance, but smarter.

Well, just a list of my wishes for DVX.
Don't kill me for being a dreamer

[Zmieniono 2016-12-16 22:40 GMT]

[Zmieniono 2016-12-16 22:40 GMT]

[Zmieniono 2016-12-16 22:42 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
What do you like in DVX3 then? Dec 17, 2016

Hi Wojciech,

You ask for a tailored DVX version

There are many nice feature requests in your list, I hope at least some of them will be implemented in the new version.

-check target segments t... See more
Hi Wojciech,

There are many nice feature requests in your list, I hope at least some of them will be implemented in the new version.

-check target segment length based on a specific number of characters (e.g. not more than 180 characters in a segment)
This list is taken from Trados, but I believe those are quite useful QA features.

You can check all of these with SQL filters and if stored in your SQL filters with Batch QA.

-check if source and target are identical
Source = Target_XXXX

(30% below)
LEN(Target_XXXX) > LEN(Source)*1.3

(No need for SQL here)
Project > Find Duplicate Segments > Find sets of duplicate source segments with different translations

FindDuplicates

You can use the SQL Filter > Build Expression window

BuildExpression

(I have to check this one in a project with unedited fuzzies)

((((Status_1055 \ 2) MOD 2) = 1)) AND (((((Status_1055 \ 256) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 128) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 64) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 1024) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 512) MOD 2) = 0)))

(I am not sure if it will display correctly here, there are two spaces between asterisk signs)
Target_XXXX LIKE "* *"

-check for multiple dots
Target_XXXX LIKE "*..*"

LEN(Target_XXXX) > 180

Source LIKE "*." AND Target_XXXX NOT LIKE "*." OR
Target_XXXX LIKE "*." AND Source NOT LIKE "*." OR
Source LIKE "*," AND Target_XXXX NOT LIKE "*," OR
Target_XXXX LIKE "*," AND Source NOT LIKE "*," OR
Source LIKE "*;" AND Target_XXXX NOT LIKE "*;" OR
Target_XXXX LIKE "*;" AND Source NOT LIKE "*;" OR
Source LIKE "*:" AND Target_XXXX NOT LIKE "*:" OR
Target_XXXX LIKE "*:" AND Source NOT LIKE "*:" OR
Source LIKE "*[?]" AND Target_XXXX NOT LIKE "*[?]" OR
Target_XXXX LIKE "*[?]" AND Source NOT LIKE "*[?]"

You can store all those SQL filters (and many others) in DVX3. SQL is great for QA, you can check digits, quotation marks, line breaks, missing en and em dashes, inconsistent terminology, etc.

Your feature requests are very good but what do you like in DVX3?

Selcuk
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Dec 17, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Wojciech,

You can check all of these with SQL filters and if stored in your SQL filters with Batch QA.

Source = Target_XXXX

(30% below)

(No need for SQL here)
Project > Find Duplicate Segments > Find sets of duplicate source segments with different translations

FindDuplicates

BuildExpression

((((Status_1055 \ 2) MOD 2) = 1)) AND (((((Status_1055 \ 256) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 128) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 64) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 1024) MOD 2) = 0) AND (((Status_1055 \ 512) MOD 2) = 0)))

(I am not sure if it will display correctly here, there are two spaces between asterisk signs)
Target_XXXX LIKE "* *"

-check for multiple dots
Target_XXXX LIKE "*..*"

LEN(Target_XXXX) > 180

You can store all those SQL filters (and many others) in DVX3. SQL is great for QA, you can check digits, quotation marks, line breaks, missing en and em dashes, inconsistent terminology, etc.

Selcuk

Thanks for very useful info. It's a good idea to create like trados batch QA task.

What I like.

Whole project view but...
1) I'd like to see different files with different (and very pale) background colors.
2) Zebra-like (white-gray background of segments like in Memoq) view in translation table (Sometimes it's very convenient)
3) Easy way for partly project view (not Sql filtering of files)

Filter... but
1) I'd like to have Flexion lang support (using hunspell dictionaries) or filtering by the PART of word — TO find words in all forms (with different endings etc.)

And another inconveniences of DVX

1) I've added 3 SQL filter and when I change anything in Segments selector, 1st options - ALL SEGMENT is scrolled up out of list and it takes additional actions and time to choose.

I never use some of options of this list but I can't remove them.

2) DO NOT ADD SPACES TO THE END OF BROKEN in DVX segments (it's may be a problem with DV translated sdlxliff QA in Trados - double spaces).

And to peoples who write DVX manual - look SQL examples, that peoples really need and compare them with contained in manual.

features to wait

1) MORE controllable way of retranslating of NOT-EXPORTED FILES (NEF). (if in NEF there are segments with translation different from TM or one of multiple translation in TM). Retr. file must contain the same translation as in NEF without following sequence (new proj — new tm — export NEF in xlf — import XLF in new proj — sending XLF to new TM — retranslation of file)

2) Spelling errors segment selector

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 14:45
English to Polish
+ ...
Nifty Dec 17, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Wojciech,

Source = Target_XXXX

(30% below)

(No need for SQL here)

FindDuplicates

BuildExpression

Target_XXXX LIKE "* *"

-check for multiple dots
Target_XXXX LIKE "*..*"

LEN(Target_XXXX) > 180

Selcuk

Hi Selcuk,

The examples of the use of SQL filter are nice. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't work in form of a message that you receive immediately after moving to the next segment? In Studio when moving to the new segment you get a series of messages if there are any QA errors, of course depending on the selected QA options.
This is quite fast and done on-the-fly.

As to what I like or rather liked about Deja Vu.
I liked that it was well thought out as far as project structure is concerned, everything is in the place, easily accessible.
I liked the fact that I didn't have to reverse my TM, unlike in Wordfast Classic (which I still love) and Trados (believe it or not there's no such option there, you must have two memories in two different language directions).
Finally, I liked the Autowrite, which used to be second most advanced after Wordfast Classic - now Trados's Autosuggest is, in my opinion, way better than Autowrite.
So, Deja Vu had a potential for me, but those several flaws that made life difficult, successfuly prevented me from buying it.
This having said, as you can see from my previous post, I'd really like to use it as the CAT of my choice, because it was fun to use.

[Zmieniono 2016-12-17 17:00 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
QA Dec 17, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Hi Selcuk,

The examples of the use of SQL filter are nice. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't work in form of a message that you receive immediately after moving to the next segment? In Studio when moving to the new segment you get a series of messages if there are any QA errors, of course depending on the selected QA options.
This is quite fast and done on-the-fly.

Hi Wojciech,

You are completely right, AutoCheck during the translation finds only terminological and numerical inconsistencies. And that said, terminology check is useless in many languages because of suffixes. I don't know if other CAT tools can handle this (perhaps with pipe character).

In my workflow, I prefer to perform QC as the last stage, when the translation is complete. Therefore use of SQL filters or batch QA is not a problem "for me". But we all have different workflows and priorities.

Kind regards,
Selcuk

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Dec 19, 2016

Another improvements proposals

Aligner

1. Export of alignment NOT TO TM but to xlf or as a project file. It's much more convenient to work in TABLE (EDITOR View), than in TM view.
2. Using TM for Alignment as LF ALIGNER does.
3. Add insert epmty cell button - when there are some differences/additions/transposition between original and translation itäs more convenient to shift text down but not to delete text in opposing document.

Interface/hotk
... See more
Another improvements proposals

Aligner

1. Export of alignment NOT TO TM but to xlf or as a project file. It's much more convenient to work in TABLE (EDITOR View), than in TM view.
2. Using TM for Alignment as LF ALIGNER does.
3. Add insert epmty cell button - when there are some differences/additions/transposition between original and translation itäs more convenient to shift text down but not to delete text in opposing document.

Interface/hotkeys

4. May be unify terminology/hotkeys with other TM (add interface language - trados/MQ, and add hotkeys set for MQ и TRADOS - for those who come to DV from these programs)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proposals for improvement

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »